What are the rules relating to crossing the road from school?
- You must use the designated marked or pedestrian crossings.
- If crossing the marked crossing at a set of traffic lights, you must wait for the pedestrian lights to turn green.
- ALWAYS walk with reasonable regard for other road users.
These rules seem lame. Why should I follow them?
- For your safety and for the safety of others.
- Drivers find it very annoying if you are crossing the road anywhere other than where designated. Their responsibility is to give way at crossings. Your responsibility as a pedestrian is to use the crossings correctly.
- We will be following up any student who crosses the road irresponsibly.
- The teachers on yard duty care about your safety. We don’t enjoy telling people off. Please be kind and respectful towards us.
Where should I cross the road?
If you are crossing Sturt Drive, University Drive or Sturt Road from school, there are only three places where you are allowed to cross (see map below):
- Pedestrian crossing across Sturt Drive.
- Marked crossing at intersection of Sturt Drive and University Drive.
- Marked crossing at intersection of University Drive and Sturt Road.
So many choices! Pick one. Easy.